Send us your best snapshots from your work/time abroad and take part in Global Day 2020’s Photo Contest!
- Submit your best photos online by midnight on Wednesday, April 1, 2020.
- Attend Global Day 2020 to have the chance to vote for your favorite image on April 22, 2020.
- Win a $100 award, a print of your submission, and be showcased on campus and in CALS Global print and digital media.
Submit ONE photo that pertains to HEARTH (Health, Ecosystems and Agriculture for Resilient Thriving Societies) in an international setting taken within the last five years. Use this opportunity to showcase your research, schoolwork, and action shots from your time abroad.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Images that capture conservation efforts that include sustainable development initiatives, innovative approaches to balance growth and preserving natural landscapes, production of clean energy
- Images that depict environmental change and the resilience of communities or individuals facing adversity
- Images that chronicle health promotion initiatives worldwide (human health, non-human health, ecosystem health)
- Images that chronicle successful initiatives of global connections that promote participation and inclusion from a gender perspective
WHO CAN ENTER?
- UW-Madison faculty, staff, and students.
WHAT PHOTOS CAN BE SUBMITTED?
- Photos taken during your time abroad.
- Photos taken by you (the person submitting the photo).
- Eligible participants may submit one photo.
- Images must be at least 1 MB in size with dpi 300 or higher.
- Photos must be in their original digital file (no Facebook or Instagram photos).
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Each submission must include the following information:
- Your name
- Your contact information
- Your college and department
- Your affiliation with the university
- Photo title
- Year taken
- The location the photo was taken in
- A brief description (max. 150 characters)
- Photos may not be digitally altered beyond basic color correction.
- Photos can be color, or black and white
- Photo file types accepted are .JPG or .PNG
- Filenames must be formatted accordingly: Country_City_FirstNameLastName.jpg
Entries will undergo an initial review based on how they represent HEARTH, as well as their artistic expression, creativity, originality, image quality and photo caption description. Our panel of judges will review the photos and choose ten finalists that will be voted on by the attendees of Global Day 2020. Winners will be announced and given their award at the end of the event.
Photography is a useful tool to help convey an experience or a memory, but it is important to recognize the power photos can have and to share them ethically. Photos must be culturally appropriate and sensitive.
Please avoid images that
- Make false generalizations
- Lead to inaccuracy or misrepresentations of the host country, people, or setting.
When submitting photos of people, think less like a tourist and more like a local who is communicating what it is like to experience day-to-day events and activities.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By entering the contest, you are giving the UW- Madison College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) and all of the Global Day 2020 co-sponsors permission to use your photo(s) and other information/comments submitted in various marketing activities, publications, and/or the web for the purpose of promoting international engagement at UW-Madison. All photos, not just winning photos, may be used by CALS and Global Day 2020 co-sponsors for the purposes noted above.