This resource provides faculty and administrators with clear, simple guideposts for international projects and hosting international visitors, including the policies, guides and contacts at University of Wisconsin-Madison to learn more.
Due to the complexities associated with international projects, you should always consult with your local research administrator and/or one of the offices below regarding potential and proposed projects abroad – the earlier, the better.
- CALS Global – Contact information for the CALS Global team for any additional questions or support.
- Research and Sponsored Programs – Information on proposal preparation, agreement negotiation, and award management.
- Office of International Safety & Security – Up to date information on UW Madison’s travel policy, insurance for international travel and health, safety, and security tips.
- International Division – Resource for developing international agreements and information on international topics from around the university.
- International Projects Office – Coordination, logistical and administrative support in the development of international, fee-for-service contracts and grants.
- CALS Research Division – CALS-specific research division contacts, grant seeking resources, proposal development tools, and compliance resources.
- CALS Business Services – Financial guidance on travel and sponsored projects award management.
- Travel and Reimbursement – Booking a flight, meals and incidentals, reserving lodging, reimbursement, and travel calculator.
Hosting International Scholars
Planning, Budget, and Building Alliances with Foreign Collaborators
- Understanding the Region
- Working with International Partners and Collaborators
- Developing Your International Project Budget
- Assistance from UW Madison’s Office of Legal Affairs
- Anti-Boycott Laws
Travel and Safety
- Passports and Visas
- Additional Medical Insurance, Medications and Vaccinations
- Additional Training Requirements
- Booking Travel
Banking and Payments Abroad
- License to Spend Funds
- Payments Abroad
- Paying in Cash
- Purchasing Equipment or Supplies Abroad
- Payment Schedule Abroad
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
Compliance and the Law
- Human Subjects Involved in Research
- Data Storage and Ownership
- International Travel or Collaboration & Export Controls
- Researching Animal Subjects
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Investigators Disclosed for Financial Conflicts of Interest
- Use of Human Embryonic Stem Cells
- How CDC Determines the Level for COVID-19 Travel Health Notices
- COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination
- UW-Madison COVID-19 Response
- Travel Warning Waiver Request Process
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.