Working with International Partners and Collaborators

Do you have a collaborator with experience in the region to help with planning and compliance? 

  • Find local experts and people with experience in the region, e.g., NGOs, governmental entities, foundations, local universities, and hospitals. Exercise diligence in selection; careful background and reference checks should be performed. When work in licensed professions is required, proof of local professional licensure and institutional appointments of collaborators should be secured; also, the administrative and financial infrastructure supporting a collaborator should be examined. CALS Global can assist in finding local experts and partners.
  • Clearly define the partner role, e.g., participate in the research design and implementation, ensuring compliance with local laws and/or project management. Determine if your partner should be included as a subrecipient or a contractor:
  • Draft the proposal and/or project plan together including timelines, ownership of the work product, allocation of costs and liabilities, roles and responsibilities (guidance at Ask about any foreign government approvals that may be required.
  • Formalizing the collaboration: If you are developing a research agreement, contact the CALS Research Division. If a foreign entity requests that you or UW–Madison sign an MOU or other institutional agreement, contact the International Division. EVEN IF THERE IS NO MONEY INVOLVED, faculty do NOT have the authority to sign agreements/contracts, etc.  This INCLUDES STUDENT INTERNSHIP agreements (inbound or outbound), space agreements, etc. If you are developing a grant proposal with a collaborator, visit