On June 22, 2020, President Trump issued a Presidential Proclamation suspending entry of certain non immigrants to the United States.
- Does not affect H-1B/H-4 or J-1/J-2 individuals inside the US
- Does not affect TNs, E-3, O1s or F-1 students
- Does not affect pending change of status H-1B petitions (for example an F-1 OPT changing to an H-1B)
- Does not affect H-1B portability (transfers) petitions
- Does not affect J-1 research scholars/professors/short term scholars/ students
- Does not affect permanent residents
- Does not affect pending permanent residency peititions
- Lasts until 12/31/2020
If the H-1B/J-1 is outside of the US and has a valid H-1B/J-1 visa stamp in their passport, they can still enter the country so long as the H-1B/J-1 visa stamp is valid when they return.
If the H-1B/J-1 is inside the US and has a valid H-1B/J-1 visa stamp in their passport, they can leave the US and re-enter subject to Covid-19 travel restrictions so long as their H-1B/J-1 visa stamp is valid when they return.