THE BACKGROUND AND THEMATIC AREAS FOR THE FORUM
This Forum, organized by UNEP in collaboration with the Global Alliance for the Future of Food, International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women), builds upon global transformative experiences and good practices, and explore on three themes “Poverty alleviation: food and nutrition security”, “Agrobiodiversity and smallholder resilience” and “Food system transformation”.
The main aim of the Report on the Forum for the UNEP, will be to formulate and put down the key outputs of the meeting from our thought leaders on the thematic areas of discussion.
OVERALL GOAL AND EXPECTED OUTCOME OF THE FORUM
To build solidarity and integrity for food security and biodiversity conservation in developing countries against the COVID-19 and climate change context.
THE REPORTING WILL BE ALONG THE FOLLOWING OBJECTIVES OF THE FORUM
- To update and exchange information on challenges and opportunities for immediate joint action on food security and agrobiodiversity in the face of COVID-19 and climate change
- To enhance capacity and knowledge sharing for sustainable agriculture and resilience building in the global food system transformation
- To partner and network in linking existing science/community-based research and actions for transformation and adaptation
- To enhance South-South cooperation and joint actions on SDG 2, especially collaboration on Targets 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 in ending hunger, safeguarding agrobiodiversity, and adapting to climate change
- To obtain ideas and comments as a foundation to further formulate and submit an SDG 2 acceleration action on South-South cooperation, as well as develop and submit a report to the United Nations World Food Summit 2021